Why I Agree With Fiorina

Wow, politics is farce. John McCain helped create the Blackberry? And we should be thankful for that? Have you seen what twits most people become when they get one? And the economy is fundamentally sound. Pay no attention the Man behind the curtain, or the queue forming at the ledge.

But I digress.

In case you hadn't heard that one of McCain's advisers, Carly Fiorina, said that none of the Republican or Democratic candidates have what it takes to run a company, and it has the talking heads yapping. The heads are, of course, spinning this as a betrayal (however inadvertent) of McCain by the former head of Hewlett-Packard (who, it is worth noting, caused the company major woes). And no doubt, to politicians anything that suggests they can't do anything is a betrayal.

Fiorina, though, attempts the argument that running the government isn't like running a company. I agree, though probably not for the reasons she thinks. What I'd love to hear spun out of this is the idea that the government shouldn't be run via the free market the way business is. I'd love to hear that government is something different, something that should be a limit on the free market, not one of its subjects.

Wouldn't that be something?

Comments

2 Responses to “Why I Agree With Fiorina”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Belle said...

I thought CF was consulting for McC.

This is all so depressing. Squadrato thinks McStain is going to win. Ick ick ick.

September 16, 2008 at 9:50 PM
Dr. Curmudgeon said...

She has been campaigning for McC, which is why the heads are saying it's a political stab in the back.

I just think the statement is funny because she says something to effect of "you can't run government like a corporation," and I love that if you took that to the full conclusion, it would mean that you'd have to pull the free-market assumptions out of governance which would be awesome (but not what she or McC would advocate).

I go back and forth about whether McC will win or not. Today I'm more hopeful he won't.

September 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM