A metaphor...

Imagine for a moment that you're a prehistoric mosquito. You've just landed on a tree, only to find yourself unceremoniously stuck in the tree sap. Now if you're a remarkably forward thinking mosquito, you'll realize the sap is going to flow right over you, and you'll be trapped. But first, there's that excruciating wait.

And perhaps it will fossilize, and someday, someone will find you trapped in amber. Maybe they'll find fossil you, frozen in mid-mosquito moment, beautiful. But they'll never know the anguish of having to sit there waiting for it to end.

That's what office hours feel like to me today.

But I did find this, which pleases me greatly, as spending money on music is one of my chief pleasures in life. And I'd be alright if Mike Mills were there to sing backup for me. Truly.

Comments

2 Responses to “A metaphor...”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

kermitthefrog said...

While I wouldn't describe myself as a dinosaur freak, I enjoyed your metaphor. You could easily turn it into a Miltonic simile, were you in a situation that required such a thing.

March 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Maude said...

ah yes, i too am very excited about the new r.e.m. album. good call.

March 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM