Grumbling On University Structure

Why is it that so many of the offices at this university - and I presume on many others - exist solely as signifier of programs rather than actual functioning offices that assist with those programs?

For example, there is a Study Abroad office here. Yet I find myself helping students determine which programs fit for them, finding the forms, locating information on what courses will be offered, writing recommendations, and today having to research the financial side of it for them. I wonder what other offices run that way here.

And I wonder what it would take to be made the chair of the Department of Do Your Own Damn Paperwork.

Comments

2 Responses to “Grumbling On University Structure”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Dr. Crazy said...

Ummm... is there any way to put at least some of the burden of finding some of this stuff out on the student? It seems to me if they want to study abroad they should be independent enough to do at least some of it....

(Though this may not be possible at your institution. Just saying, if it is, push some of it back on the student.)

March 26, 2008 at 8:23 PM
Dr. Curmudgeon said...

That solution gives me a "When Harry Met Sally moment": yes, Crazy, yes! That's always one of my missions.

Certainly, some of the burden should be on the student, but the intricacies of navigating two different universities credit exchanges and financial questions probably isn't something the average student is suited to handling in any reasonably less-headache inducing fashion.

March 26, 2008 at 11:14 PM