Fill in the Blanks

So it's Sunday night, and the snow has not vanished as I might've wished. It is a little too deep for the pup, who bounds off as best he can and then looks forlorn the minute he reaches his frisbee. I take back my comment about snow making things dull - someone turn off the sunshine off the bright white stuff first thing in the morning, okay?

But I've just completed my income taxes, and I cleaned the oven tonight, so I don't feel like doing anything even remotely brainy (check that: my roommate is watching "The Bourne Supremacy" and I'd like something a little branier than that. So I'm stealing a meme from Kermit's.

Enjoy.

1. I can’t believe I’ve never…

driven on the Autobahn. Also gone sky diving.

2. Every time I think about … I still cringe.

American Idol, the last two Presidential elections, high school prom, Ugg boots, Southern accents, the joke I played on that girl in sixth grade

3. I wish I’d …when I had the chance.

learned an instrument. or studied abroad.

4. I’ve never felt so out of place as when I…

was the only person who hadn't traveled overseas.

5. … is/are my guiltiest pleasure.

Um...sleeping late? Hot bathes with whiskey? Speeding?

There's only so much honesty that's going to happen here.


6. I hope … knows how grateful I am for …

my friends and family...for everything. or specifically T. and N...for the haiku summer. Or L... for comic books. Or my undergrad adviser...for Marx and Kerouac. Or my parents...for never once trying to talk the genie back into the bottle after they taught me to read and ask questions.

7. In my darkest hours, I secretly blame … for my dysfunction.

my inability to answer a multiple choice or fill-in-the-blank questions in any sort of direct manner. Also myself.

8. … changed my life forever.

Grad school (and in a good way). Or going to a Southern Baptist middle school (in a bad way). Or technically every choice of every day.

I won't actually tag anyone, particularly since my answers wound up with the sort of typical oddness that I often approach these sorts of things with. But by all means, take a stab at it (here or elsewhere).

Comments

5 Responses to “Fill in the Blanks”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

kermitthefrog said...

For some reason, skydiving scares me while windsurfing seems immensely appealing.

Also, "The Bourne Supremacy" is not a bad movie, if you're in the mood for an action flick (although admittedly not brainy).

March 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM
kermitthefrog said...

In other words, I am neither approving nor disparaging your choice not to watch the movie, but simply pointing out that, should you want to watch it in the future, it is not a waste of time. phew.

March 10, 2008 at 12:56 AM
Maude said...

why do you cringe at southern accents? or do you mean fake ones on t.v., not real ones.

i find mine to be very pronounced of late. it usually happens during times of high stress.

March 10, 2008 at 10:08 AM
Dr. Curmudgeon said...

I actually enjoyed the Bourne movies; I just wanted something a little more intellectually stimulating than an action movie but less so than reading a book or working on writing mine.

As for Southern accents, I cringe at them only sometimes - and mostly when I lapse into one (when I'm drinking or around a lot of other Southerners) though I don't really have much of one. They can be quite charming on some people, but sometimes - particularly when I lapse into them - they're like nails on a chalkboard. And to be fair - or to at least take shots elsewhere - I find Jersey/New York accents even worse.

March 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM
Maude said...

well, okay, you're right, some southern accents are like nails on a chalkboard (i think of paula dean--ick and everybody but dolly parton in steel magnolias).

fear not. i've been told my southern accent is charming and adorable.

March 10, 2008 at 6:00 PM