Irritated

I am so utterly irritated this morning. I think it's because of university things, but maybe it's just that university is hopping on my last nerve with cleats on a day when I'm already irritated.

Maybe it is because there is rumored to be some compensation for summer courses that were canceled due to enrollment even though there's a clause about being able to teach for tuition in the collective bargaining agreement. Checks have been sent out, but not to me. Or maybe it is because IT - who still hasn't managed to put software on my new PowerBook, making it an expensive internet kiosk - apparently has screwed up our department's lab on a day when I'm the only one in the building to field student questions.

Or maybe it is because the Nun Next Door today stuck her head into my class to tell me I'm too loud. I'd be okay with that, I suppose, though it hadn't been a problem for the last eight weeks of the term when I lecture in my "lecture voice." What seems to be irritating me, though, is that in addition to telling me this, she has to give me a mini-lecture on the spot as though I'm intentionally disrupting her class. And because I don't want to argue with another faculty member in front of students - or particularly argue with a nun on the tenure committee - I stood there and sucked it up so that I could get along with my class even though the good roll that I had going was squandered.

But I'm a pestilence on two legs right now. You have been warned.

Comments

3 Responses to “Irritated”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Samantha said...

My classroom is sandwiched in between two other classrooms. I can hear both of the professors lecturing ... but I'm sure they can hear me nearly blow out the speakers practically every class when I struggle with the media station ... or when I show the "Conjunction Junction" clip. :)

It's like living in an apartment; there's gonna be some noise. And interrupting another's class for anything other than an emergency is beyond rude.

October 20, 2008 at 8:33 PM
gwoertendyke said...

two thoughts: you are unionized and so i'm jealous; being lectured by another faculty member in front of your students is the real shit--WTF--only crazy-ass people do this!

you can go to bed irritated and righteous.

October 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM
Dr. Curmudgeon said...

To be fair, our union was once described to new hires (including myself) as a company union, so it's a little bit like having a creepy HR person who REALLY REALLY wants to help you.

As for the loudness problem, I'm going to start doing an over/under with the class about it.

October 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM