Pro/Con

So, the dilemma here is a good one: I've got one job offer that I'll be glad to take if it's the only one, and a second possibility that I like even better. Also, my shoes are made of diamonds, and people can't seem to help baking me cookies.

Okay, the last part isn't true, but really, things are pretty dang good.

But, there's maybe eventually a decision to be made. If I get a second offer, which do I take? And so, I present for your scrutiny my pro/con lists such as they are. This is mostly a sort of scratch pad for me to try and think this through, but since so much of this process has already been made visible to the Intertubes, I thought maybe this struggle could be useful (or at least slightly entertaining.
Job 1 Pros
  1. close to friends
  2. close to family
  3. better pay than current job
  4. lower cost of living than current place
  5. lots to do
  6. better climate than current place
  7. excellent housing costs
Job 2 Pros
  1. close to friends
  2. far from family
  3. likely better pay
  4. better research funds
  5. lots to do
  6. excellent retirement benefits
And, of course, there's the downside.
Job 1 Cons
  1. close to family
  2. poor travel funds
  3. poor research funds
  4. less than ideal retirement
Job 2 Cons
  1. far from family
  2. high cost of living
  3. high cost of housing
I feel like I'm probably forgetting some other things. And, of course, I'm likely over-thinking just a little since only one job is actually mine to stress over.

Comments

4 Responses to “Pro/Con”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

undine said...

Talk about a good dilemma to have! Congrats on the offer.

February 3, 2009 at 12:47 AM
squadratomagico said...

When will you find out about the second position?

I'd say that research and leave support could be an important factor. Not sure whet your area is, or how much travel you must do to pursue it, but in my field I require strong support. Beyond that, moving to a vibrant community would be an important priority for me. I'm not sure how the two places stack up in that regard -- you seem to indicate that both places have lots to do. But I think it's healthy to live in a community where the campus is not your whole life.

Here's to hoping you get to choose!

February 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM
bitternsweet said...

Hmmm ... I have to say that good weather is nothing to sneeze at (ha ha). Seriously, it can make a huge difference -- or maybe that's just me since I grew up in the southwest and hated, just hated, my brief foray into the frigid north.

Really, it'll be a good problem to have if 2nd job come through and you get to pick. No matter what, congrats on Job #1 and getting out of your current situation. (Referring to your other post about the grad class ... Um, your dean is an ass.)

February 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM
Dr. Curmudgeon said...

So in theory I should be hearing from the second school sometime around now.

It's weird to try and factor out these things because I don't have an offer from Job 2. So how much travel or research support matters is a strange point. Job 1 offers a little more than what I currently have. Job 2, if it came through, would beat them both.

I'm in the process of trying to distance myself from Job 2 largely because I felt like I'd have heard yesterday or today (but that's also me making a fairly general statement about when I'd hear and turning it into something much more specific.

February 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM